To whomsoever it may concern
My previous blog was all about a series of strange crossroads an aspiring sub-urb kid stumbles upon when trying to chase his/her dreams in this mischevious globalised society.Today I shall explore how the same mischief has the potential to serve as a boon to each one of us.
Thank God for apps like Instagram and other social media which do a great deal of work to sensitise us with pressing issues aggravating our lives in general as well as in particular.
I was scrolling down my feeds some months ago and discovered the wonders and epoch making history created by this little girl called Greta Thunberg from Sweden (You may Google her) and her unprecedented concern for the alarming rate of environmental crisis eating away the whole world in bits and pieces.
Like a true global citizen I chose to sensitise the issue through my social media accounts about ''environmental preservation" with much needed enthusiasm.No sooner had I started making few adjustments in my lifestyle so as to ensure minimum harm is being meted out to the environment than I realised the gross reality of my existence.I ended up to be just another hypocrite.
It so happened the other day when my mother was complaining about how ignorant I am as a member of the house towards my responsiblities.As a futile attempt to appease her I offered to help her with the household chores.She handed me over a giant bag full of garbage and told me to dump it to the nearest stream of my locality.I was dazed.
When questioned upon, her reply was sarcastic as usual "There is no other option.What do you expect? Someone else to carry your bag of crap and dispose it off for you?".
Hell yes! That's exactly what I want .That's exactly how its suppose to be done.What are Municipality boards for?
People here are compelled to dispose their garbage off to the nearest stream instead of handing it over to the garbage carriers/vehicles and the proper addressal of the same.Why is there no proper mechanism of waste management in my locality? Why do the costs of the inadequacy and ignorance of these so called authority holders are to be paid by the innocent lives killed during landslides and other natural calamities?
I'm pretty sure some amount of Government funds sent for the administration of Municipal Areas like ours can easily be "spared" for organising and mobilising a Waste Management Team with vehicles along with drivers and permanent workers as per needed to different pockets of this sub-division instead of booking expensive trips abroad.This small ''sacrifice'' on their part would certainly save a number of lives from being davastated in years to come.In fact this would save them a great deal of fortune to be "distributed" during elections for ensuring votes.
We get to hear about statements on local newspapers given by local authorities on taking up effective follow up actions after a motivational campaign initiated by our local schools every now and then but only to find the efforts of those pupils go down the drain.
To continue thereafter,I took the garbage,walked up few meters, tossed it down the tiny bridge and watched it crash over the wastes deposited by my neighbours who were as helpless as I was.
*Bob Dylan's Blowing in the Wind plays in the back of my head*

Comments
Post a Comment